Friday, August 16, 2013

Who said we have to let our past control us?

Let's talk about acceptance. Acceptance of ourselves and of our past and present lives. 

I used to never fully embrace myself. I shuddered at the thought of people knowing the real me and all of the painful and embarrassing things in my past. 

Do you know what I had to do to overcome this? I had to open up to the people I trusted. I had to talk about the dark and trying moments in my life that I was ashamed of to realize that I had emerged from the darkness into the light. When someone you care for accepts and embraces you and assures you that it really IS okay. YOU really are okay. Your past teaches you, but it doesn't define you if you don't let it. 

My advice is to be careful with the people you open to when you decide you are ready to do so. Learn the difference between true and lasting acceptance and love and wavering and temporary acceptance in your relationships. Once you do, your lasting relationships will be stronger with deeper connections and you won't feel the need to accommodate everyone by being the person they want you to be. 

Just love and embrace yourself and surround yourself with people who love and embrace you. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment